New Year Resolutions {@home}

New Year, Same House 

Personal resolutions made? Check. But what about house resolutions? Those little projects you put to the side that...all...add...up...and get pushed off to the bottom of the list. Yep, time to tackle those! Check out my 3 New Year's Resolutions for the Home. 


1. STREAMLINE EVERYTHING


You would think just moving into a new house I would have it all together inside. Not the case. I am eager to go room by room, drawer by drawer, cabinet by cabinet and anything Alex and I don't use, need, wear or love...it's outta here. If YOU don't LOVE it, seriously why do we keep it and stare at it? I am so guilty of this. There's the "hey that piece of art isn't my favorite so I'll just put it in storage until I need it" or the "YES. I will definitely keep these 7 tops that I literally haven't worn in 3 years because maybe I'll wear it sometime this year." 

Fill your house with items that are energizing and exciting, not dull and draining. Donate your goods you don't love or try consigning them. Do you have shelves that are full of useful, but not the most beautiful, items? Stash them in woven baskets for a clean look. Clear your kitchen counters with items you use on a daily basis (so excited to do this myself!!!) and add a topiary or fresh flowers for a pop of color. 


Photo: Ashley Cross Designs


Photo: Pinterest 

2. GO FOR IT, DECOR EDITION 

Have decor obsessions you want to do & buy but just haven't done yet? DO IT. I have had this chair for almost 6 months now, with plans to recover it, but just haven't taken the initiative to find an upholster, so it is sitting in my storage room... Now that my Christmas tree is gone and the corner space is vacant, I HAVE to fill the space with the chair. Finally contacted my upholster and it should be done in a couple weeks.

Bought on craiglist

Fabric purchased from Sherry's Honey Pot Fabric & More

The Look! Image: Pinterest


Tired of looking at old pillows on couches, an old painting you don't really love or really wanting to bring more indoor plants into your space to create a new energy? DO IT. I promise these little decor updates will make your space feel brand new! Buy a fun new coffee table tray, new candle to make your house have a fun new scent, or go a little more adventurous with changing out light fixtures in your foyer, bedroom or your kitchen. Lighting is so such a great way to update your space instantly, and you can find great deals online or splurge at your favorite lighting shop!

3. KEEP THE HOUSE LOOKING LIKE THE MAID JUST LEFT, kind of

Yeah. Impossible right? Well, it can sure ALMOST look like the maid just left. I found this list from HGTV on small daily house chores you can do to control the mess:


Dishes go in the dishwasher every night - no excuses! 
Dirty clothes go in the hamper and jackets or clean clothes are hung in the closet. Bring everything back to its assigned place.

Lastly, I got this from my sweet friend & amazing interior designer, Kerry of Kerry Spears Interiors: Channel your inner Reese Witherspoon. Be the hostess with the mostest at all times, keep the house on standby for impromptu guests and have white wine chilled in the fridge (speaking of fridge, try and keep the fridge clean!)
Would love to hear your plans for your home for 2018. Start small, make a list and have fun with it! 
xoxo, 
KH

Comments